Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan

Thursday, February 24, 2005

S'more Electricity Sounds Good

Entombed in darkness…the only sign of life in my apartment is the burbling trickle of my leaky toilet and the soft, liquid-crystal glow of my laptop. Last night I returned from an evening of Korean cuisine (yes, dog was on the menu) only to discover that my electricity had been shut-off. Unlike the rolling black-outs we experience—this darkness was due to my own dim wit. I forgot to pay the electricity bill. That’s not quite true. I didn’t forget. In fact, I’d been carrying around the crumpled bill and a folded wad of cash for over a week. Everyday, on my way to work, I walked passed the utilities building. Yesterday, I even stopped by over the noon hour only to find a sign on the padlocked door stating everyone was “Out to Lunch”. This legitimate attempt at responsibility apparently buoyed me into believing I was a good for another day. Incorrect. I now type in darkness, hunched over the warm glow of my computer like a man warming his hands over a camp fire. If only I had some marshmallows…

1 Comments:

  • Larry! So sad you succomed to the tombs of the non-billpaying! We too had trouble with that pesky little bill. I'm surprised you made it a week! We were only given three days to get our asses over there.

    I owe you an apology by the way. I ended up deathly ill in my last few days in Osh... thus not calling you. I offer you my humblest of apologies and beg on my knees for forgiveness... not like that sicko! Anyway, good luck getting your power back! --Your ex-PCV K-11 buddy, Naomi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home