Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan

Thursday, March 24, 2005

New Power in Kyrgyzstan! Revolution Happens. Larry Tweed and Volunteers SAFE

I just got word about an hour ago (3:30 PM Kyrgyz time) that protestors stormed the White House in the Kyrgyz Capital of Bishkek. My Expat Anthropologist friend was on the scene and text messaged me and called me as events unfolded. He called from the the doorway of the White House itself...so this is pretty reliable. He has also heard that Akaev's motorcade was seen leaving Bishkek. If this is true, then a Revolution has taken place. I have heard that Bishkek already appears calm. Who will be in power? This is the big question for the revolutionaries to answer. Also, is it completely over for Akaev? I sense the answer is a resounding YES. What do the people really think about this revolution?

Side Note: I have heard that Roza Otunbaeva did a great job of uniting the opposition parties to accomplish this...You can bet she'll continue to be a player.

Peace Corps decided not move us yet. A wise choice as Osh is calm and everything is up in the air. We are safe though a little stir crazy. AMAZING time to be here. I know friends and family are worried. Please understand that everything you may be viewing is from the lens of the media. We are OK and look forward to resuming our work as soon as Peace Corps deems it safe. They are doing a good job (though the information in scarce). Peace Corps staff visited all of us in the South to make sure we are ok.

I'm tired. Played poker with volunteers last night until 6:00 AM. I won 200 som, which is about 5 dollars or 10 lunches, depending on who you talk to. Feeling good though. Very good.

Just want to say to friends and family that I love you and am having a great time here in Kyrgyzstan. I will update you when I can. It's OK to be worried, but please don't panic--we're not.

Take care folks,

Love Larry

7 Comments:

  • I hope everything is going okay! We're hoping for a cover up like in Togo and scream national security for next years busget!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:47 AM  

  • Did you hear about the new Plame(her husband was an RPCV) Vanity Fair artcile from the PCV in Togo?

    Take care and make sure you tell them you not CIA, again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:53 AM  

  • Good luck to all of you guys. I was a K-7 who extended as PCVL and lived in Bazaar Korgon and then Osh. I was evacuated after 9/11 from safe, safe Osh. I miss it! I hope you guys stay put! Eat some uigher laghman for me!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 10:53 AM  

  • I was evacuated after 9/11 from Naryn. Heard the recent news, hope everyone is safe and sound and that they don't need to evacuate you.

    Jessica Brawner
    K-9 - and missing it heartily

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:03 PM  

  • I also want to send my support for everyone in Kyrgyzstan. I finished my Peace Corps service in November 2004 and I miss it all very much. At Bashy may have been cold, but I had many great adventures. I hope all of you and my friends who still remain are safe. 'Revolutions' are scary. But without people standing up for their rights to 'freedom', there can be no change. This is at least a step in some direction... hopefully the right one. I wish everyone well. Eat some Naryn sheep fat for me.

    -Angela Bowden, K 11: Naryn Oblast, At Bashy Region, Kara Suu village 2002-2004

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:22 PM  

  • Correction... I was a K 10 not a K 11... my brain isn't working now that I have 40 hour work weeks.

    Angela Bowden

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:24 PM  

  • to peter baker and to group of you:

    no, it's not a solely Kyrgyz movement. on the contrary, Uzbek, Kyrgyz, Russians were all together. Anvar Artykov, one of the leaders in the south, who is a "people's" governor in Osh is ethnically Uzbek. so, there's no interethnic conflict.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home