Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan

Monday, September 19, 2005

Larry Tweed has completed one year in Kyrgyzstan.

I was really looking forward to sharing some of Turkey's amazing sights, however, Blogger's Hello Picasa feature and internal blogger photo post features don't seem to be working.

I arrived back to Osh over a week ago and found that life had continued moving forward during my absence. Upon my return, I also discovered that I am the new facilitator for an online webcam conference between the students of East Carolina University and Osh State University. Last Tuesday we (I and 14 students) connected via webcam with a classroom in North Carolina. One of my students pointed at the computer monitor (which displayed the U.S. classroom) and asked me, "Are they real Americans?"

"Yes," I responded, forgetting the microphone was on, "those are Real Americans." Everybody back in the U.S. classroom chuckled when they heard me declare that they were the real thing. I think the class promises to be a fascinating learning experience on both sides.

A few of us met the new U.S. Ambassador to Kyrgyzstan, Ms. Marie L. Yovanovitch, last week. She is a very impressive women. You can read more about her here.

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the Peace Corps Partnership Program for the Center for American Studies. So far we have raised approximately $800 and we need about $1,300 to go. Thank you all for your support! Would you like to Contribute? There's still time! Click here for more information about the project and how you can help Kyrgyzstan future leaders!

The discussion club has grown considerably with the beginning of the new semester. Our next topic is Tolerance Within the Educational System. We will be discussing such things as religious tolerance, ethnic tolerance and tolerance toward those who display other differences, such as disabilities (many of Kyrgyzstan's disabled are holed up in their homes or sent to institutions to be with "their own kind"). I am impressed with the students for choosing such interesting and pertinent topics. It should be a good discussion!

I look forward to blogging a little more regularly in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home